Week 3: Value Drawings

This week's assignment was to use different shades of grey to create the illusion of lighting on a 2-dimentional rendering. Adobe Illustrator was used for all drawings. All but one of the drawings were made on my MacBookPro. The assignment called for 5 drawings, however I had a busy weekend designing a new web template for a client, and was only able to do 4.


The first image is a coffee cup. It was drawn in the classroom around 11AM. The cup was at eye level, providing light from the right onto the vessel. I used a 2pt brush (a brush I like using) to render the object.

The second image is a coffee mug. I used a ceramic mug with the light almost directly above the object and slightly to the right. It sat on a slightly reflective surface which produced different shadowing effects. The object was rendered with a 2pt brush, then a 5 pt brush was used to cover the extra negative space. A small 1pt brush was used to render the thin shadow lines.

The third object was a ceramic salt shaker. It's octagonal shape created a unique series of shadows that proved challenging to render. A 2pt brush was used to render the object. The light source was a lamp without the shade 45 degrees above and right of the object.

The last object is an expresso cup. This object was unique for two reasons: I used a 1pt brush to render the drawing, and I positioned the cup in such a way that I looked down on the vessel. I regular lamp was used for the light. A 1pt brush left a lot of negative space as I drew, so I used fast, vigorous strokes to draw the lines.


Included is a screenshot of Adobe running on my MacBook.

0 comments:

Post a Comment